Wednesday, June 6, 2012

God save the Queen!

 In honor of Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee this week I thought it would be apropos to post a recipe that might bring a bit of Great Britain to your own table. I was lucky enough to make it across the pond a few summers ago for a five day vacation in London, and I think that out of every possible food item I had while I was there the pecan scones had to be my absolute favorite. It is a staple when serving tea and if you have had them you will know why! They are scrumptious. The crust is crispy and crumbly while the inside is soft and buttery with just a hint of sweetness. Then to absolutely destroy any and all nutritional value these treats might possibly possess, you slice it in two and smear clotted cream and your choice of jam all over it. Oh my goodness, it is fantastic!

 So, here is a recipe I thought looked pretty similar to the biscuits I enjoyed while in London and I will include at the end of this post a link to where you can buy clotted cream online. I am having one heck of a time finding it in any grocery store here in the Atlanta area but if I do I will leave the information in a comment later on. So bake some scones, put on a kettle and let's hear it for Her Royal Highness! Cheers!


INGREDIENTS:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup chopped raisins (I personally would substitue the raisins with 1 cup chopped pecans)
1/2 cup milk
1 egg


DIRECTIONS:

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar and baking powder. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in raisins (or pecans). Beat milk and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring lightly. 

Turn onto lightly floured surface; roll to 1-inch thickness and cut with a 2-1/2 inch biscuit cutter (Or, if you're like me, just use a small tumbler glass from the cabinet.). Bake at 425 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 10 scones. 


Where you can buy clotted cream:  http://www.englishteastore.com/
I also found a grocer in Atlanta that carries it. Thanks Kyle for the info! Just type in your location and find the market nearest you :)  http://www.worldmarket.com/storeLocator/index.jsp

Or if you are feeling adventurous there are recipes for clotted cream online. It's time intensive work but it looks great! I will have to try it myself this summer when I get the chance. 







No comments:

Post a Comment