Monday, June 18, 2012

A quick fix snack for your summer road trip!

I am currently procrastinating. Yes I am writing a food blog but I am really procrastinating instead of packing for a trip that I am supposed to be taking later this week. Would it be easier if I did it now? Yes. Am I going to? No! That's just how I roll. I need a fire under my butt to operate evidently...Anyways...If you are new to the blog my name is Jessica (Hi!) and I am the daughter of this mother-daughter blogging team and have very recently discovered that I am gluten intolerant. Now I know that it sounds like it's an awful problem to have and it can be very unpleasant at times (I will spare you the details) but really the biggest pain about it is it just makes eating more of an inconvenience than it should be. Where one person might be able to stop during a road trip and grab a snack at a gas station or a fast food restaurant I (for the most part) can not. So what do folks who have this issue do in these situations?

A. We don't eat and stay hungry.
B. We make our own travel friendly snacks and stay well fed on the road!

I have been horrible lately about being the "A" person (refer back to the first paragraph) but I'm trying really hard to get better at it. So, in an effort to become a better planner I started researching quick fix gluten friendly snacks. There were all kinds of great recipes for everything from dried fruit to marinated carrots (?)...Yeah, I had never heard of those either...and back again, but the thing that caught my eye was a treat I hadn't had in a very long time. Candied cashews. DING, DING, DING! We have a winner! They are extremely easy to make and they taste marvelous :) So here is the recipe for a quick fix gluten free snack that takes all of 10 minutes to make. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS:


2 cups whole cashews
1/2 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


You will combine your cashews, butter and sugar in a sauce pan and stir over a medium heat until all the sugar has melted and is a medium brown color. Once the mixture has reached the right color and texture (It should be very smooth) you will remove the pan from the heat, add the vanilla extract and stir.

After you have finished mixing you will place the cashews on a greased baking pan to cool. Once cooled break apart if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment